Thornton Heath – Firefighters issue safety warning after e-bike house fire in South London

F

Firefighters issued an electric bike safety warning after a child was taken to hospital following a house fire in south London.

Part of the ground floor of a townhouse was damaged by the fire on Thornton Health’s Beechwood Avenue around 7 p.m. Wednesday.

Four fire trucks and around 25 firefighters came to the scene to deal with the blaze.

It is believed to have been caused by an electric bicycle battery overheating when leaned against a radiator.

Paramedics took a child to the hospital as a precautionary measure and two women and three men were evaluated at the scene for smoke inhalation.

London Fire Brigade

A conversion kit with a separate battery was installed on a regular road bike, a common cause of fires, the researchers said, as many come from the internet and may not meet safety standards.

Firefighters cautioned that batteries can pose a risk if damaged or exposed to extreme temperatures, so users should try to avoid hitting them while in use or while being transported as spare parts.

They also advised users to unplug the charger once the battery is full, and advised against leaving it unattended or while people sleep.

Electric bikes can also block escape routes, a Brigade spokesman said.

“Electric bicycles and scooters are often stored and charged in the escape routes of homes or common areas, so when a fire occurs, the escape routes are blocked, making an already serious situation a lot. scarier for those involved, so keep in mind where you are. I’m storing them, ”the spokesperson said.

Firefighters were called to the fire at 7.16 pm and controlled it at 8.25 pm

Firefighters from the Woodside, West Norwood, Norbury and Beckenham fire stations were on the scene.

.

Leave a Comment

x